- Location: Located off Hwy. 160 at lower Valley Road-C.R. 350 and from C.R. 351.
- Acres: 161
- Bedrooms: 3
- Baths: 2
- Water Source: Private Well
- Other Features: Large barn, Bailing equipment, Stone home, Great water rights, Hay production, River frontage, Acreage, Ranches, Horses, Views, Farm land
This great Cuchara River ranch has approx. 161 acres of pasture, irrigated meadow, river and homesites with views. Fully fenced, the ranch includes historic stone home, hay barn, and pipe corrals. About 100 acres are in irrigated hay production produced from the Senior water rights that are included. Equipment offered separately. There is also a filed Plat for several smaller acreage homesites. Nearly 2 miles of the Cuchara River meanders along south end of the ranch.
The old Walsen Ranch was originally a part of the Vigil-St.Vrain Land Grant in 1843. The Founders of La Veta (Col.Francisco and Daigre) acquired the ranch in 1865. But in 1882 the U.S. Congress refused to acknowledge much of the Vigil-St.Vrain Grant and some of that land was then thrown open to Homesteaders.
In 1890, Fred Walsen purchased the homestead land and built a wood storage shed, still standing today. Walsen sold 3/4 of his ranch water rights to the new Town of Walsenburg. Walsen also sold a 1/2 interest in the ranch to his father-in-law, J.B. Johnson. Soon after Walsen's death in 1906, the ranch was sold to Emmett Harrison, who built the original stone house around 1910.
The ranch continued to be held by the Harrison family from 1907 until 1980. For over 70 years, the Harrisons grew irrigated meadow hay and raised Hereford cattle along with operating a small dairy. The Walsen/Harrison Ranch was purchased by the current owner, a Dave Brown Family Corporation, in 1997.